About the Museum
The Art Museum of Estonia (AME), located in Tallinn, collects, conducts research on, and displays Estonian art from the Middle Ages to the present day. It is in charge of Estonia’s largest art collection. The AME is comprised of five museums: the Niguliste Museum, which displays ecclesiastical art from the Middle Ages up to the Baroque period; the Kadrioru Art Museum, which displays foreign art from the 16th to the 20th cehturies; the Mikkeli Museum, which displays the art collection of Johannes Mikkel and includes significant European porcelain; the Adamson-Eric Museum, which displays the art of modernist Estonian artist Adamson-Eric; and the Kumu Art Museum, which features Estonian art from the 18th century to the present. The AME traces its origins to 1919, when the Tallinn Estonian Museum was established. The Museum collected ethnographic material as well as art; in 1926, the decision was made to focus on fine art and to transfer ethnographic items to the Estonian National Museum, a transaction which did not take place until some ten years later.
(Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.)