About the Museum
The Berlinische Galerie was founded in 1975 as a society devoted to exhibiting art from Berlin. For the first few years it was based in an office in Charlottenburg, and its exhibitions were displayed at the Akademie der Künste and the New National Gallery among others. In 1978 the Galerie moved into a former Landwehr officers' mess on Jebensstraße, near Zoo Station. In 1986 it moved again, into the Martin-Gropius-Bau. In 1994 the collection became a public-law foundation.
In 1998 the Berlinische Galerie had to leave the Martin-Gropius-Bau due to reconstruction. After six years without a permanent home, it opened in its new location, in former industrial premises in Kreuzberg, in 2004. Built in 1965, the current building was originally a glass warehouse, and took the Galerie a year to renovate.
The museum reopened again in 2015 following a €6 million refurbishment that mainly involved updating the museum’s security and technical equipment. The permanent and temporary exhibitions are displayed across two floors of the building; there is also an auditorium, an archive, a library, a study room, and an art school for children and adults. The oldest works in the Galerie's ownership date from 1870. The museum also owns a large graphic art collection (around 15,000 works) as well as photographs and architectural models, and sometimes hosts contemporary installations.