About the Museum
The Château de Cheverny is located in the village of Cheverny, in the département of Loir-et-Cher in the Loire Valley in France, and a short distance south-east of the attractive town of Blois.
The castle was built by the Hurault family from 1624 to 1630, on the site of an earlier feudal castle. One of the last Loire Valley castles to be built, the castle at Cheverny is in white stone and follows the classical style that was popular at the time of Louis XIII. It is built to a symmetrical design, and is unchanged and unaltered since the time the building work was completed.
Over the course of the centuries the castle changed hands on several occasions but each time it eventually returned to the Hurault family, who still owns and runs the castle today.
(Photo: Pergola, © de Vibraye)