About the Museum
The Clark Art Institute opened its doors to the public in 1955 and houses the vast art collection of Sterling and Francine Clark. Sterling was the heir to the Singer sewing machine fortune and had gained an interest in acquiring art from his grandfather. Together with his wife Francine, who also had a passion for art, he collected American and European paintings, prints, drawings, sculpture and decorative arts, amassing an especially notable collection of French impressionist and post-impressionist works. The Clark Art Institute continues to build upon the Clarks’ original holdings through purchases and gifts. There is also a strong emphasis on education at the museum, and it is home to the Clark Library, a reference and research library focused on the history of art.