About the Museum
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens is a vital community partner that reaches out to diverse audiences through outstanding artistic offerings, dynamic learning experiences, and opportunities to participate in the beauty of the natural world. The Museum is an environment in which joy and discovery infuse all that we do. Arts, gardens, and education converge to create meaningful personal experiences and open a world of new possibilities.
The Cummins Museum of Art and Gardens was founded in 1961 after the death of Ninah Cummer, who bequeathed her gardens and personal art collection to the new museum. The museum and gardens attracts 130,000 visitors annually with a permanent collection of the museum currently over five thousand works of art dating from 2100 BCE to the twenty-first century. The museum's collection is especially strong in European and American paintings and also includes substantial holdings of Meissen porcelain. The museum also has an award-winning education center, Art Connections, which possesses a number of interactive educational installations and serves underprivileged and special education students with its programs.
There are three flower gardens on the museum grounds, the oldest dating back to 1903. These gardens have preserved their original layout for over a century and were designed by landscape designers such as the Olmsted Brothers, Thomas Meehan & Sons, and Ellen Biddle Shipman. The Cummer Gardens are on the National Register of Historic Places.