About the Museum
Other than the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady), the Zwinger is the most popular destination for visitors to Dresden. The ensemble with gardens and a fountain is considered one of Germany’s most important Baroque architectures.
Under the direction of Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann between 1711 and 1728, several grand pleasure gardens and three pavilions with curved galleries were developed. Originally, the main structure was to help define the forecourt for a new palace but remained empty and consequently the area was used for celebrations, concerts and theatre performances.
As early as 1728, the Zwinger was rededicated as a place of knowledge and became home to the natural science collections, the cabinet of prints and drawings and a library. In 1746, the Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon (Mathematical-Physical Salon) was additionally established, and still today it can be visited here along with the Porzellansammlung (Porcelain Collection).