About the Museum
The Fundación Casa de Alba - Palacio de Liria is a neoclassical palace in Madrid, home to the Dukes of Alba. It was built around 1770 by architect Ventura Rodríguez under the commission of James Fitz-James Stuart, third Duke of Berwick, who was also the third Duke of Liria (hence the name of the palace).
The Palacio de Liria holds a remarkable private collection of European Art composed of paintings by Perugino, Titian, El Greco, Goya, Rembrandt, Rubens, Ingres, Courbet among others, as well as engravings by Dürer, Mantegna, Van Dyck and sculptures and archaeological finds belonging to ancient Greece and Rome. The Palacio also presents a vast collection of books and manuscripts including one first-edition copy of Don Quixote and letters by Christopher Columbus, Titian and Rousseau.