About the Museum
The Palazzo Corsini is a monumental palace located in Florence, in the region of Tuscany, Italy, with a facade towards the Arno River. The site had been appropriated from the Ardinghelli family prior to the 17th century by the Medici, who built a casino and a small house with gardens extending to the river.
In 1649, it was purchased by Maria Maddalena Macchiavelli, the wife of the Marchese Filippo Corsini, from the Grand Duke Ferdinando II de’ Medici. The palace was constructed during the mid-17th to the 18th centuries, built with one side having a U-shape wings facing the Arno to give maximum view of the river. The initial architects were Alfonso Parigi the Younger, followed by Ferdinando Tacca until 1671 when Antonio Maria Ferri contributed in the completion of the massive structure.
The interiors are elegantly frescoed. The artists include Anton Domenico Gabbiani, Alessandro Gherardini and Pier Dandini. The two-story throne room, designed by Ferri during 1694-1696, covers 320 square feet. Ferri also designed the dramatic entrance staircase. The family's fortunes were to peak with the election of Lorenzo Corsini as Pope Clement XII (1730 - 1740). The palace still contains remnants of a sculptural collection, but most of the movable artwork was transferred to the family's palace in Rome. In 2015, the palace is still privately owned, and rented out for events.