About the Museum
The Huntington Library, Art Collection, and Botanical Gardens was founded in 1919 by businessman Henry E. Huntington as a non-profit institution. During his lifetime he collected hundreds of artworks, rare books and plant specimens from around the world. The Huntington’s galleries hold one of North America’s most comprehensive collections of 18th and 19th century British and French art, including Thomas Gainsborough’s Blue Boy and Thomas Lawrence’s Pinkie, as well as an important American art collection. Highlights from the library include the Ellesmere manuscript of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, the double-elephant folio edition of Audubon’s Birds of America, and a world-class collection of early editions of Shakespeare’s works.