About the Museum
The Indianapolis Museum of Art was founded in 1883 by the Art Association of Indianapolis. The first permanent museum was opened in 1906 as part of the John Herron Art Institute. In 1969, the Art Association of Indianapolis changed its name to the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and in 1970 the museum moved to its current location at Michigan Road and 38th Street north of downtown Indianapolis. As the Indianapolis Museum of Art has grown to become an internationally renowned museum, it now focuses toward increasing the emphasis on combining art with nature.
This combination of art and nature was always part of the original vision and now sees it as a vision for the next fifty years. The galleries are surrounded by gardens, water features, over a hundred acres of woodland filled with surprise and beauty. The campus itself is ideal for performances, afternoon walks, kite-flying, cloud-gazing, memory-making and new-idea-having. There’s a mansion to stage unforgettable events, restaurants for relaxing, bars for microbrews and friendships.