About the Museum
The Öffentliche Kunstsammlung Basel, the municipal art collection of Basel, dates back to 1661, when the city acquired the Amerbach Cabinet. The collection and the Kunstmuseum Basel grew steadily over the centuries, and is now comprised of three buildings: the Hauptbau, the Gegenwart and the Neubau. The Kunstmuseum Basel’s Hauptbau was completed in 1936 and houses the collection of art from Basel, as well as works from medieval, Renaissance, and postwar modernism periods. The Gegenwart building was the museum's first expansion in 1980 and was one of the first museums dedicated to contemporary art in the world. Special exhibitions are held in the newest building, the Neubau.