About the Museum
The Museum de Bellas Artes (Museum of Fine Arts) was founded in 1917 and was originally housed in the Palacio de las Academias. Its current home is in two buildings, a 1930s Neoclassical building and a 1970s Brutalist structure, both designed by artchitect Carlos Raúl Villanueva. For several decades, the National Art Gallery was housed in part of the Museum de Bellas Artes until it moved into its new home in 2009. The museum features permanent exhibitions of international art and artifacts, including exhibitions on ancient Egypt, Chinese ceramics, and Cubism. It hosts temporary exhibitions in eighteen different galleries. The museum also has a shop that sells contemporary arts and crafts.
(Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.)