About the Museum
The Museum of Geosciences of the Institute of Geosciences of the University of São Paulo was developed from the former Museum of Mineralogy of the Department of Mineralogy and Petrology of the Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters (FFCL), of the then newly created University of São Paulo in 1934, at the initiative of Prof. Dr. Ettore Onorato, who donated his own collection for the practical classes for the course. The original nucleus of the Museum was based on the collection of Prof. Onorato and on the acquisition by the government of the State of São Paulo of the private collection of Engineer Araújo Ferraz in 1935 and Luiz Passion in 1954. From then on, the collection of the museum was constituted through field collections by the course students. In 1984, the museum received the donation of the collection of Carlos Luiz Schnyder. Currently, the collection has been expanded mainly by donations made by teachers, private collectors, students of the Geology courses and also by the acquisition of individual pieces.
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons: Secom UnB)