About the Museum
The donation of 350 modern artworks by Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig marked the founding of this museum in 1976 as the first to exhibit contemporary art in Cologne. Apart from Pop Art, the Ludwigs also made a permanent loan of their Russian Avant-Garde Collection from 1906 to 1930, as well as several hundred works by Pablo Picasso. The Picassos were entrusted to the museum in two generous donations during 1994 and 2001 and are now owned by Museum Ludwig. Also integrated into the institution and forming the basis of its contemporary art collection is the Modern art department of the Wallraf Richartz Museum, featuring the Expressionism collection amassed by the Cologne lawyer Joseph Haubrich.