About the Museum
The National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus houses the country’s largest collection of Belarusian and international art. The collection consists of more than 30,000 objects, including a comprehensive collection of over 5,000 works of Russian art. The museum was founded as the State Art Gallery in 1939. The museum lost many of the works in its collection during the Great Patriotic War, and subsequently rebuilt the collection. The museum houses an extensive library and archive. In addition to the main collection, the museum also manages three additional locations: the Vitold Bialynitskiy-Birulia Museum, which opened in 1982 and is dedicated to the life of the artist Vitold Bialynitsky-Birulia; the Wankowicz House, which features the work of artist Walenty Wankowicz; and the Museum of the Belarusian Folk Art in Raubichi which opened in 1979 and is located in the former Krestogorsk Roman Catholic church.