About the Museum
The National Museum of Fine Arts is an art museum in Manila, Philippines that houses a collection of paintings and sculptures by classical Filipino artists. Founded in 1998, it was formerly known as the National Art Gallery, and is owned and operated by the National Museum of the Philippines. It is located on Padre Burgos Avenue across from the National Museum of Anthropology. Its collection includes works by artists such as Juan Luna, Félix Resurrección Hidalgo and Guillermo Tolentino.
The building was originally designed as the public library by Ralph Harrington Doane, the American consulting architect of the Bureau of Public Works, and his assistant Antonio Toledo. Construction began in 1918 but was suspended several times because of lack of funds. The building was inaugurated on 16 July 1926, and by then had cost four million pesos. The building was part of Daniel Burnham's plan for the development of Manila. Upon its completion, the second, third, and fourth floors were occupied by the Senate and House of Representatives while the ground floor was occupied by the National Library.
(Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.)