About the Museum
Located in Madrid's Parque del Retiro, Palacio de Velázquez is one of the two exhibition venues of the Museo Reina Sofía. The building is named after architect Ricardo Velázquez Bosco, who designed the building in 1883 along with ceramicist Daniel Zuloaga and engineer Alberto del Palacio. The building was initially conceived as the main pavilion of the Exposición Internacional de Minería, Artes Metalúrgicas, Cerámica, Cristalería y Aguas Minerales in 1883 and its design was inspired by the Crystal Palace in London. Since 1987, Palacio de Velázquez began hosting solo exhibitions by artists as Cindy Sherman, Nan Goldin, Juan Muñoz and José Manuel Brot. Closed in 2005 for renovations, the venue reopened in 2010 with a retrospective exhibition dedicated to Antoni Miralda. The space is now solely dedicated to temporary exhibitions of Spain's national museum of modern art, the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía.
(Photo: Wikipedia Commons: Daderot)