About the Museum
Het Loo Palace was built in 1685 at the behest of Stadholder William III (later King William of Great Britain). It is located on Het Loo Royal Estate, which is also the site of Het Oude Loo Hunting Lodge. In 1971 it was decided that Het Loo Palace would be turned into a museum, showing how members of the Royal House lived in the palace over the years. The palace has been open to the public since 1984, showing interiors with original furniture, objects and paintings of the House of Orange-Nassau. It also houses a library devoted to the House of Orange-Nassau and the Museum van de Kanselarij der Nederlandse Orden (Museum of the Netherlands Orders of Knighthood's Chancellery) with books and other material concerning decorations and medals. The stables house a large collection of carriages from the holdings of the Royal Stables. The museum draws around 400,000 visitors a year. Exhibitions are held there on a regular basis, sometimes featuring pieces from the collection of the Royal Archives. A substantial proportion of the permanent collection is from the House of Orange-Nassau Historic Collections Trust.
(Photo: Wikipedia Commons: Hans A. Rosbach)