About the Museum
Situated in West Berlin’s Charlottenburg quarter, the Sammlung Scharf-Gerstenberg is part of the city’s Nationalgalerie. Though the museum’s collection spans many centuries – beginning with works by Giovanni Battista Piranesi and Francisco Goya – it specialises in 20th century surrealism with over 300 works by masters of the movement such as Max Ernst and René Magritte, as well as lesser known figures. The collection was built by the founder and CEO of the Victoria-Versicherung Berlin insurance company, Otto Gerstenberg, and his grandson Dieter Scharf. Twinned with the Museum Berggruen, the building was originally commissioned by King Friedrich Wilhelm IV and completed in 1859 by architect Friedrich August Stüler in the neoclassical style. The building housed the Egyptian Museum from 1967 until 2005 when it was converted by the architectural practice Sunder-Plassmann. It opened to the public in 2008 and holds regular exhibitions of loaned works as well as displays from the permanent collection.