About the Museum
The Schnütgen Museum is home to an impressive collection of medieval art that is housed in one of Cologne’s oldest churches, the Romanesque Church of St. Cecilia built in the 12th century. The collection holds more than 13,000 objects that range from wooden and stone sculptures, stained glass, and metalwork to rare ivories and textiles. The scope of the collection extends from antiquity to the modern period. The collection was donated to the city in 1906 by Alexander Schnütgen, a Catholic priest and theologian. Collection highlights include a Romanesque tympanum from St. Cecilia’s, several large wooden crucifixes, including the 11th century Cross of St. George, and a single leaf from the English St. Albans psalter. The museum regularly rearranges its permanent collection to provide new context, providing visitors the opportunity to make new discoveries with every visit.
(Photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.)