About the Museum
The Museum of Applied Art of the St. Petersburg State Art and Industrial Academy is an integral part of the academy, which produces artists of various specializations. The museum was established in 1878 as a part of the Baron Stieglitz School of Technical Drawing, which in the 20th century evolved into the Artistic Industrial Academy. The museum's building is a masterpiece in its own right and was built in an eclectic style by the architect Maximilian Mesmacher, specifically to house the museum's collection. The building's huge Grand Hall, incorporating an impressive glass roof, recently underwent an extensive program of restoration. Some of the museum's elegant smaller halls, including the Antique, Medieval and Ancient Russian rooms are definitely worth a visit.