About the Museum
The Zabludowicz Collection is a philanthropic endeavour encompassing a dynamic and growing collection of art works with an associated programme of exhibitions and events in permanent venues in the UK, USA and Finland. As a living collection we are always looking to the future as well as safeguarding and conserving the past and have a long history of supporting public institutions and national collections.
Inaugurated in 2007, Zabludowicz Collection's London project space presents a varied programme of self-initiated group and solo exhibitions, commissions and residencies, drawing on works from the collection or new works by artists linked to the collection. The programme features initiatives supporting emerging artists and curators including the Invites series, which offers emerging artists without UK commercial gallery representation the opportunity to produce a solo exhibition and event, and Testing Ground, an annual season exploring art and education working with London's premier universities.
The former Methodist chapel that houses the collection was built between 1867 and 1871, in the Corinthian style and was the main place of worship for the Methodist community in north London. In 1963, the building was taken over by the London Drama School, which pioneered the Russian branch of method acting in the UK. In 2004, when The London Drama Centre moved to new premises in Clerkenwell the building fell into disrepair. Zabludowicz Collection purchased the Grade II listed building in 2005 and it was restored with a minimum of interference to its natural fabric by Allford Hall Monaghan and Morris. It reopened to the public in September 2007 as the London home of the Zabludowicz Collection, its historical and layered architecture providing a rich and challenging space for the presentation of contemporary art. In 2010 the foyer was redesigned by Michael Marriott.