Accademia Nazionale di San Luca

Accademia Nazionale di San Luca

About the Museum


The Accademia di San Luca, was founded in 1577 as an association of artists in Rome (under the directorship of Federico Zuccari from 1593), with the purpose of elevating the work of "artists", which included painters, sculptors and architects, above that of mere craftsmen. Other founders included Girolamo Muziano and Pietro Olivieri. The Academy was named after Saint Luke the evangelist who, legend has it, made a portrait of the Virgin Mary, and thus became the patron saint of painters' guilds. From the late 16th century until it moved to its present location at the Palazzo Carpegna, it was based in an urban block by the Roman Forum and although these buildings no longer survive, the Academy church of Santi Luca e Martina, does. Designed by the Baroque architect, Pietro da Cortona, its main facade overlooks the Forum.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons: Warburg

Facebook Twitter Instagram Sina Weibo You Tube Menu Menu Close Close-white Angle Down Angle Up Angle Left Angle Right Chevron Down Play Search Location Slideshow Article Share Share-white Question Pencil Expand