About the Museum
The Museum of the Great Palace Mosaics is located in the Arasta Market in the Sultanahmet Mosque Complex. The museum, built in the northeastern part of the Grand Palace, belonging to the Eastern Roman period, was designed to incorporate a partially preserved mosaic floor, and is a unit connected to the Hagia Sophia Museum.
The mosaics displayed at the Grand Palace Mosaics Museum, dating back to 450-550 AD, are both spectacular in terms of both artistic and portrayed scenes. Presumably, only a 180-square-meter section of the mosaic area prepared by many master artists under the chairmanship of leading masters of the time was uncovered. Mosaic stones consist of limestone, terracotta and colored stones in an average of 5 mm in size. The descriptions are in the style of "Opus Vermiculat" and placed between the pieces of marble. The "marine flake" technique was applied to the white marble parts at the end. In addition, the traces surrounding the mosaic are limited to contours.
Religious matters are not encountered in mosaics. Topics are taken from daily life, from nature and mythology. These include scenarios depicting the fighting of the lizard, elephant and lion struggle, suckling of a foal, goose-headed children, goat-man, child feeding the beef, young girl carrying the test, apple-eating bears and hunter tiger struggle.
The Great Palace Mosaics Museum was connected to the Istanbul Archaeological Museums in 1953. From 1979 onwards, it is a unit affiliated to the Hagia Sophia Museum Directorate.