About the Museum
The magnificent Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte was constructed from 1658 to 1661 for Nicolas Fouquet, the superintendent of finances for Louis XIV. Set in the French countryside near Fontainebleau, southeast of Paris, the château is surrounded by a moat and spectacular formal gardens. It was the first major collaboration between the architect Louis Le Vau, the landscape architect André Le Nôtre, and the decorator and painter Charles Le Brun. All three would go on to work on the design of Louis XIV’s renowned Palace of Versailles. A masterpiece of Baroque architecture, it is the largest private château in France and houses a collection of Baroque decorative arts, furniture, frescoes, busts and tapestries.