About the Museum
The Kimbell Foundation, which operates the museum, was established in 1936 by Kay and Velma Kimbell, together with Kay’s sister and her husband, Dr. and Mrs. Coleman Carter. Upon the death of Mr. Kimbell in 1964 his estate was left to the Foundation to be turned into a museum in order to encourage interest in art within the surrounding area. The permanent collection, though relatively small in size, comprises non-Western and European art and ranges from the third millennium BC to the mid-20th century. It includes major works by Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Monet, Picasso and Matisse. With designs by renowned architects, Louis Kahn and Renzo Piano, the museum’s building focuses on filling the museum with a flow of natural light which complements and illuminates the collection.