About the Museum
The Musée Picasso of Antibes-Juan-les-Pins is located on the former Acropolis of the Greek city of Antipolis. Until the beginning of the 17th century, the castle was inhabited by the Grimaldi family. In 1925 it was bought by the city of Antibes, which turned it into a museum of history and archeology. In 1945 it was transformed into the Museum Grimaldi. This is where Picasso came in, who in 1946 received an offer to use part of the museum as a studio. It was not until 1966 that the museum changed its name to the Picasso Museum, becoming the first museum dedicated to an artist during his lifetime.
While he was staying in Antibes, Picasso produced numerous works (paintings, drawings, tapestries and ceramics). In gratitude to the city, whose honorary citizen he later became, Picasso gave her 23 works, which laid the foundation stone of today's collection. In 1990, the museum received more works from the estate of Picasso's second wife Jacqueline. These were later completed by numerous donations and acquisitions. In addition to paintings, sculptures and ceramics by Picasso, other works by other artists from the 20th century, such as works by Miró and Max Ernst are on display today.
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons: Clemensfranz)