About the Museum
Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paolo, founded in 1905, is the oldest art museum in the city and one of Brazil’s most important and dynamic cultural institutions. Its 19th century building, located in the glorious Jardim da Luz park, underwent a superb renovation by Paulo Mendes da Rocha in the 1990s. The collection stands today at almost 10,000 artworks with an emphasis on Brazil’s major figures and movements from the 19th century onwards. There is a particularly strong focus on Paulista artists including Antônio Parreiras and Oscar Pereira da Silva. The collection also features European painting, sculpture and decorative arts. In addition to roughly 30 exhibitions a year, the museum hosts workshops, lectures and courses for visitors of all ages. Since 2004 the Pinocateca’s sister site, Pina_Estação, has been a major contemporary exhibition space and is home to a fine collection of Brazilian Modernist paintings from the Fundação José and Paulina Nemirovsky.